Did you ever want to be a brain surgeon growing up? Nu Rho Psi is the honor society recognizing those young aspiring students who grew up to study, you guessed it -- the brain!
Founded in 2006, Nu Rho Psi is the only nationally-recognized honor society focused on brain research. It is classified as a nonprofit/grassroots organization comprised of neuroscientists. According to the organization, “The study of the brain is one of the noblest of academic pursuits because a deep and true understanding of the principles by which the brain works contributes directly to the quality of our lives and the well-being of future generations.”
The purpose of Nu Rho Psi is to:
- encourage professional interest and excellence in scholarship, particularly in neuroscience;
- award recognition to students who have achieved such excellence in scholarship;
- advance the discipline of neuroscience; encourage intellectual and social interaction between students, faculty, and professionals in neuroscience and related fields;
- promote career development in neuroscience and related fields;
- increase public awareness of neuroscience and its benefits for the individual and society; and
- encourage service to the community.
Membership is by invitation only and is reserved for students actively pursuing a degree in Neuroscience and those strongly interested in the study while also meeting certain academic accomplishments. Each chapter is able to set their own stricter guidelines for acceptance, but generally speaking, students looking to join must:
- Major or minor in Neuroscience
- Completion of at least 3 semesters of the College course
- Completion of at least 9 semester hours of Neuroscience-related courses
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.2 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in Neuroscience courses
Once accepted, lifetime members have the opportunity to network with like-minded scientists and grow their careers after graduation. Nu Rho Psi has over 80 chapters nationwide and over 5,100 lifetime members. You’ll recognize these brainy academics by their Black & Bright Gold honor cords on graduation day.
Are you a member of Nu Rho Psi? Let us know in the comments!